1. New York Spaghetti House
On the Southern side of the District, there are several well-known landmarks. On East 9th Street just south of Huron Road, the New York Spaghetti House building is a designated Cleveland Landmark. Built c. 1910, the building was the site of the Mario Beigotti Restaurant during the 1930s and 40s.
2. Erie Street Cemetery
Passing the Utica Building, you will reach the Erie Street Cemetery. This peaceful cemetery founded in 1826 contains several important historic graves, including that of Sauk Chief Joc-O-Scot, or Walking Bear. Efforts are currently underway to restore the old gatehouse.
3. Gray’s Armory
Gray’s Armory is located on the eastern part of Bolivar Road. Built in 1893 as the headquarters of the Cleveland Grays, the building is known for its striking fortress-like exterior and its large interior drill hall, which has been used as a public auditorium and private event space. The Cleveland Orchestra had its first concert here. Gray’s Armory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
4. Baker Building
Additional highlights of the Gateway District can be found to the North along East 6th Street, Vincent Avenue and Superior Avenue. The Baker Building on East 6th was built in 1919 as the home of Fidelity Mortgage Company and other offices. Today, ground floor tenants include Tea House Noodles, Moriarty’s Pub and Dave’s Cosmic Subs. The now quiet Vincent Avenue was once a thriving entertainment district known as Short Vincent. It was home of the Theatrical theatre, restaurants and pubs.
5. The Leader Building
The Leader Building stands at the corner of East 6th and Superior. Built in 1912 by Charles Platt, the Leader Building was once home to the Leader newspaper, which was founded by Edwin Cowles.